Dr. Bianca Watkins – Post-Doctoral Psychology Resident
Hello! I am Dr. Bianca Watkins. I am the Post-Doctoral Psychology Resident at the APACenter. I earned my Specialist in School Psychology degree from the University of Houston-Clear Lake and my doctoral degree from Texas A&M University. My pre-doctoral internship was completed at Virginia Beach City Public Schools in Virginia Beach, Virginia. In September 2019, I joined APACenter and under the supervision of Dr. Lindsay Evans (assessment) and Dr. Laura Frame (therapy). My experience includes engaging in group and individual therapy, psychological assessment, and participating in school-wide intervention and consultation services. In addition, I have provided psychological services in a public school setting, Head Start center, private practice, and federally qualified community mental health center. I value the input parents, teachers, other professionals, and the child can offer to create a more holistic treatment approach. This helps in fostering home-school collaboration so children can have the maximum opportunity to succeed.
I prefer an integrative approach to case conceptualization and treatment implementation. It is important to consider the unique characteristics of the individual and how different theoretical orientations can be applied simultaneously. My previous training has focused on evidenced-based cognitive-behavioral therapy, solution-focused therapy, behavioral therapy, and mindfulness. I believe it is important to have a firm understanding of one’s client, so treatment can be implemented appropriately. Through this, I hope to provide specific and individualized treatment goals based on the client’s strengths that will accommodate their difficulties. While completing my pre-doctoral internship, I was able to provide group and individual therapy to students who had significant difficulties relating to behavior, mood, and trauma.
Areas of Therapy/Consultation Specialization
- Cognitive-behavioral therapy for anxiety, depression, adjustment, and mood
- Parent coaching and consultation
- Anger management
- Behavioral management of difficult behaviors
I have always enjoyed the assessment process. A comprehensive assessment can provide many answers on how children learn in the classroom. My specialties in assessment include learning disabilities, emotional-behavioral disorders, developmental delays, autism spectrum disorders, intellectual disabilities, and social-communication difficulties. Through my pre-doctoral internship, I was able to complete a 6-month rotation of providing cognitive and social-emotional assessments to preschool children in an arena setting. I believe the assessment process can assist in providing individualized recommendations to support parents, teachers, and children.
Areas of Assessment Specialization
- Attention-Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD)
- Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD)
- Emotional Disturbance (ED)
- Mood Disorders (e.g., anxiety, depression)
- Other Health Impairment (OHI)
- Preschool assessment of cognitive and social/emotional/behavioral functioning
- 2010 – Bachelor of Arts, Psychology, Texas A&M University
- 2015 – Specialist in School Psychology, School Psychology, University of Houston-Clear Lake
- 2019 – Doctor of Philosophy, School Psychology, Texas A&M University
- Nationally Certified School Psychologist (#46162)
- Licensed Specialist in School Psychology (#71617)