I completed my doctoral degree at James Madison University and doctoral internship at the Texas Child Study Center, a collaboration between Dell Children’s Medical Center of Central Texas and The University of Texas at Austin. Before completing my doctorate, I completed a specialist degree in school psychology. As a certified school psychologist in Virginia I developed an interest in advocating for twice-exceptional students (intellectually gifted students with a disability) and students with autism. To supplement my school psychology training, I completed a pre-doctoral autism fellowship through an interdisciplinary disability leadership program called LEND (Leadership Education in Neurodevelopmental and related Disorders). During the LEND program I focused on assessment and advocacy for individuals with chronic medical, developmental, and behavioral health conditions across the lifespan.
Throughout my career and training, I have provided interventions for preschool and school-age children, adolescents, and young adults presenting with a variety of challenges including learning difficulties, developmental delays, depression, anxiety, conduct problems, and adjustment to chronic illnesses. I have specialized training in cognitive behavior therapy (CBT), applied behavior analysis (ABA) with a focus on parent training, and parent-child interaction therapy (PCIT). Furthermore, I have experience and training in providing comprehensive assessments for children, adolescents, and young adults.
My goal during the assessment process is to help clients and their families gain answers to their diagnostic questions and help clients advocate for themselves based on information from the assessment process. I aim to provide tailored recommendations based on the values of the client and the specific needs for access to additional services when needed. I specialize in the assessment of individuals preschool age through young adulthood with neurodevelopmental concerns such as learning difficulties, attention-deficits, autism spectrum disorder, intellectual disability, and social-communication difficulties.
Areas of Assessment Specialization
- Attention-Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD)
- Learning difficulties in reading, math and written language
- Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD)
- Assessments to access an individualized education plan (IEP) or 504 disability accommodations
- Twice-exceptional students
I aim to provide interventions that are evidence-based while working with you to meet your individual needs and life challenges. I believe therapy is a collaborative process with the end goal of having you become your own therapist or coach when you are ready. My interventions are based on an integrative approach using cognitive, behavioral, family systems, and attachment theories. I encourage clients and their families to practice the skills learned in therapy to ensure that intervention results are effective outside the therapy room. I provide therapy, consultation, and coaching that is appropriate for each client’s developmental stage, which may include using toys, books, and games with children as well as handouts and videos with adolescents and adults. I also believe in ongoing monitoring of treatment progress in the form of self-report or report from others who regularly interact with you (parents, teachers, spouse, or other health professionals).
Areas of Therapy/Consultation Specialization
- Cognitive Behavioral Therapy / Behavior Therapy for anxiety, mood, social challenges, and adjustment difficulties
- Parent training and coaching to enhance development and reduce challenging behaviors
- Teacher training and consultation
- Coping with chronic illness / disability in children, adolescents, and young adults
- 2002— Bachelor of Arts, Psychology, University of North Carolina at Wilmington
- 2007—Educational Specialist, School Psychology, James Madison University
- 2011—Post-Graduate Certificate, Disability Leadership, Virginia Commonwealth University
- 2016— Doctor of Psychology, Clinical and School Psychology, James Madison University
- Licensed Psychologist, Texas (#37676)
- Licensed Specialist in School Psychology, Texas (#71068)
- Nationally Certified School Psychologist (#36768)